• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

Re: Band Gripes

#227648 1 year, 9 months ago
Light show does not mater at all to me, but sometimes its cool. I liked the space pics at NYE.

It is all about the music. I concur with many of the issues noted.

Agree that setlists in 2012 did not have as much imagination as years prior.

That being said, the Oct 5 Greek second set list was over the top:

China > Rider >Cassidy > Passenger >MT Song> Scarlet> Fire> SOTM> Gloria
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#230699 1 year, 9 months ago
Sunshine doesn't pull out the harp and rip on it. Or banjo, I would like more banjo!
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#233332 1 year, 8 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
killwhyT wrote:
Gripes, sheeeeesh mofos. Go get your diapers changed. I'm just gratefuld they are still truckin and I'm on board.
Nothing is perfect, and if asked, and then when participating, it doesn't indicate any feeling different than your statement. And then there is this thing balance. The discerning, critical fan/artist/whoever is the one I'm interested in most. If we looked at 1000 posts on this board, maybe fifty originate from a discerning perspective. I call that LaLa Land. It serves nothing well. It isn't healthy, and it surely doesn't indicate a better fanbase. It tells me I'm surrounded by a mass of people who run from confrontation, and there is indeed a healthy form of confrontation. Philosophy is about confronting questions. Listening to such complex music like this is about confronting the abstract. Confrontation ≠ war. Confrontation = nature. I have zero interest in unnatural imbalance. It doesn't make a prettier picture. It doesn't paint me some type of twisted utopia. It doesn't provide me with sanctuary. It's sad and lesser than its potential. That's what running from discernment and critical thinking says to me.

I want to be around people who recognize mistakes and imperfections. They can love those mistakes, but when they are open to acknowledging them and talking about them, I'm there. Real life. Not convoluted airbrushed minds.

So your post is like the person who answers "what is your favorite song?" with "I love them all. I cannot pick a favorite." They think they're pointing to the absurd, but in reality, they're the absurd.

Thank you for your input Zeno. In fact, I am a critical listener who is quite unlike the 'i love them all' fans. Speaking of Deadheads, I don't love them all either. I just find it riduculous that people feel they have the right to 'gripe' as though Phil gives a Phiddler's Phuck what they think. I agree that reasoned discussion regarding the music is a foundation of 'our' scene.
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

#233394 1 year, 8 months ago
[quote="ZenoMarx" post=227135]I prefer the stripped down, no light show tours. Throw up a giant tie-dye backdrop with basic stage lights (static, if you please), and I'm good to go. Let me see the band. I'm there to watch and listen to them. I don't want any of the other pomp & circumstance. And if it saves me even a quarter on the ticket price, it's two bits well spent.

I have to agree. I've said it before that I think all the technology with the light shows is detrimental the vibe of the show.I have always thought that tecnology is just a destraction from the reality around you. The GD didn't have a audience loaded with iphones. I hate them. There is nothin worse than opening your eyes after a lengthy jam and upon opening them, immediatly in your line of sight is someone texting the setist to their FB friends. I see that phone and Im reminded of emails and bills and taxes and shit I don't want to think about when Im at a show. I wish we could just once have a No-tech show. Ok, done ranting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: B-Rad, mortimer
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#233398 1 year, 8 months ago
[quote="DancinBear" post=233394]ZenoMarx wrote:
I prefer the stripped down, no light show tours. Throw up a giant tie-dye backdrop with basic stage lights (static, if you please), and I'm good to go. Let me see the band. I'm there to watch and listen to them. I don't want any of the other pomp & circumstance. And if it saves me even a quarter on the ticket price, it's two bits well spent.

I have to agree. I've said it before that I think all the technology with the light shows is detrimental the vibe of the show.I have always thought that tecnology is just a destraction from the reality around you. The GD didn't have a audience loaded with iphones. I hate them. There is nothin worse than opening your eyes after a lengthy jam and upon opening them, immediatly in your line of sight is someone texting the setist to their FB friends. I see that phone and Im reminded of emails and bills and taxes and shit I don't want to think about when Im at a show. I wish we could just once have a No-tech show. Ok, done ranting.

If they had iphones and Face Book in the 70's you can bet that people would have been using them at GD shows..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

#233418 1 year, 8 months ago
^^^^No doubt they would have used them. But I hear people say that Furthur has no magic. But how can anyone feel that vibe when they are constantly being distracted by technology. If someone uses LSD, then the "light show" is all there own and unobtrusive to others. Everyone who wakes their cell distracts a everyone in a 6 food radius. Its almost like trying to get your groove on and you happen to be next to someone who has never been to a show. Cell phones are worse though. Cell phones make me angry. I can at least understand the 1st time show goer.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by DancinBear.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#233431 1 year, 8 months ago
I'm not defending cell phones but there are a million ways for people to be obstrusive to others at a show.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#233432 1 year, 8 months ago
some folks like to use technology to preserve and/or share the show

do tapers/streamers make you angry too?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#233433 1 year, 8 months ago
Not enough Bobby "Haaaa, HAAahh's" anymore.

More Falsetto, Bob!
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, Strider1, Iriecycle
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#233434 1 year, 8 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
some folks like to use technology to preserve and/or share the show

do tapers/streamers make you angry too?
The tapers/streamers aren't putting a bright, ugly light in my line of view with the band, or lighting up my little area. I'm not having to look through a sea of arms holding up their phones while they video clips and photograph the band. They aren't talking on the phone in the middle of a jam. The photographers and videographers never behaved like this, either. I'd see them. They were always around, but they never shoved their experience in my face as they did their thing. They had the sense that this is for now, and that is for later. Common sense with courtesy and respect. You know...community.

Preservation of the music and moment never take precedence over the people right there and that very moment. Phones are fine. New technology isn't the problem. People being rude and inconsiderate is the problem. When you have a whole bunch of rude and inconsiderate people preserving their moment, it becomes a problem in a greater sense. I listen to the streams. I look at the photos. I enjoy them, but I'm also aware that they can come at too high a price. Most of the people at a show aren't out on tour. They aren't going to see the band a bunch of times. They spent a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of effort to attend that show. Their experience should be respected to the highest degree. Leave your fucking phone at home. Buy a taper's ticket and hang out in the box (they won't want you talking and goofing around on your phone, either though). Work your way up to the front and take photos. Don't stand in the middle of the floor with your arms in the air with that thing in the line of sight of hundreds of other people.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by ZenoMarx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, Iriecycle, 66slim, DancinBear
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds